Can't upload files >100 Mb, what do?
  • Hi, there's an issue with the .mp3 upload limit that I'd like to address in advance.

MLPaudiobooks.net has a limit of around 100 megabytes for audio uploads. And we (admins) can't do much with it.

But there's an option to get around that limit. If you need to upload a huge audiobook/chapter do that:
    1. Upload a shitty version of it that's under 100 Mb.
    2. Write us an e-mail to [email protected] of the following content:
        a. Hello, I'd like to upload better .mp3 ...
        b. ... for *NAME OF THE STORY*, specifically for *NAME OF THE CHAPTER* ...
        c. Here's the better version: *LINK TO THAT HUGE MP3*

Thanks for attention.
  • As you know I ran into this issue with my last upload for Heroes, which was a crazy long chapter that came out to nearly 2 hours, nearly twice the length of anything up to that point. At a MP3 rate of 192 the file came out to just about 170megs, at 128 it was 106...a big difference with little to no noticeable difference in quality that I can tell.

I would suggest that folks keep the MP3 rate to 128. I used 192 but the I, personally, can not tell the difference between the two...I think one would need 400 dollar studio quality headphones to really notice the difference and unless you're recording something extremely long it should be well below the 100mb limit.
  • That's an option too.
  • I use varaible bitrate encoding, which is really the ideal for voice files. An average of just 96kbps and all still sounds very well.
  • I was debating using variable..but that can be a problem is you're streaming from what I read..so was not sure if I should use it.
  • They stream fine from here.
  • I think it probably depends on the pipe between you and it. Reasoning is if you get a sudden spike in the bitrate you may get some delay.
  • I think it probably depends on the pipe between you and it. Reasoning is if you get a sudden spike in the bitrate you may get some delay.

Files do not "stream" in a strict sense, they are buffered completely by the player. So any bitrate is fine.
  • What is the cause of the limitation, if I might ask?
  • Prismic said:

What is the cause of the limitation, if I might ask?

It's hosting-related stuff. We've contacted support, but they failed to lift this limit on their side. So yeah... sorry for that.